LONG BEACH, Calif. (April 21, 2013)
- Race Report
- Oriol Servia finished 6th in the 2013 Toyota Grand Prix of Long
Beach in the No. 22 Charter Panther DRR Chevrolet.
- During yesterday's qualifications, Servia made contact
with the tire barrier avoiding the No. 9 car of Scott Dixon's which
had stopped in the middle of the track after a spin. INDYCAR
officials initially penalized Servia his fastest lap for
causing a yellow flag; however, that penalty was
later rescinded. His lap time was given back, allowing
him to start the race in the 18th position.
- Servia had advanced to the 16th position before his first
pit stop on Lap 26. Changes to the car included two turns of front
wing and a switch to Firestone Firehawk alternate
- Several cars pitted under the next caution, advancing
Servia to 13th. Skillful driving helped him avoid an incident in
Turn 1 of the Lap 34 restart which moved him to up to
- On the Lap 38 restart, Servia made contact with the
slowing car of Simon Pagenaud, breaking several pieces on the front
wing. Servia's lap times remained consistent and the team made the
decision not to change the nose.
- After another pit stop on Lap 51 during a full course
caution, Servia advanced to 6th position. The crew added two turns
to the left side of the broken front wing to balance the
- Pagenaud passed Servia on the Lap 55 restart, but Servia
passed him back on Lap 56 to regain 6th.
- Servia was catching the No. 11 car of Tony Kanaan by .7
seconds per lap in the closing laps. He caught up to him in Turn 1
on Lap 78. Servia was on the inside of Kanaan and the two made
contact. Servia continued but was passed by JR
- Servia took the checkered flag in 6th place but was
issued a 30 second penalty after the race for what was deemed
avoidable contact with Kanaan. After further review, the penalty
was later rescinded the 6th place finish
- The 2013 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach featured 80
laps around the 1.96-mile, 12-turn street circuit in the streets of
Long Beach, California.
- Panther DRR will return to the track May 4-5 for the Sao
Paulo Indy 300 in Brazil.
ORIOL SERVIA, NO. 22 CHARTER PANTHER DRR CHEVROLET,
On the race: "I had the best car
probably of the whole season in the race. It was awesome. On one
restart, I don't know what happened to Simon [Pagenaud] but he
slowed down in the straight and I broke the front wing. Even with
that we were one of the fastest cars on track. I was saving fuel
but I was flying. I was so happy!"
On the incident with Tony
Kanaan: "With two laps to go, I had a run on
Tony [Kanaan]. I was on the push to pass, I don't think he saw me
coming. I got on his inside and he closed the door. I was there - I
cannot disappear! It was one of those deals where you both want the
same space in the corner so you crash. I'm angry with him, he's
angry with me. That's what happens in racing."